Monday, November 16, 2020

Victory is Yours

I'm sure this has been reposted elsewhere many times over the years, but I stumbled across it recently and thought it was worth another share. 

I remember seeing this commercial as a young person and being surprised by it. In retrospect, I wonder why there weren't more things like this, considering how popular Dungeons & Dragons seemed to be at the time, With the exception of this one, I can't recall any others (please correct me if I'm mistaken). I suspect this is why I've long felt that D&D's success was largely by word of mouth rather than a concerted marketing campaign by TSR. Again, I have no evidence to back this up, but it's fascinating to consider nonetheless. I have a hard time imagining a product achieving such a high degree of pop cultural saturation today without a concerted effort to promote it. Yet, somehow, D&D seems to have done just that – the right time and the right place, I guess!

No comments:

Post a Comment