Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Cool, Cool Candles

I thought I'd written my last post on the odd AD&D-branded items of the early 1980s, but how could I resist saying a word about the Official Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Cool, Cool Candles? Besides, there's actually a small bit of interest here, above and beyond the usual bafflement.

This craft set was produced by NSI, the same company responsible for the woodburning set. Its name derives not so much from the fact that it was in any way fashionable or admirable but that the wax used in making these candles required no heat to pour into the molds, thus making it suitable for children.

The included molds depict an elf, a dwarf, a unicorn, an orc, and a dragon. Looking at them, I was immediately struck by the resemblance of several of them to Grenadier Models AD&D miniatures. For example, the elf is clearly based on the "Female Elf Ranger" from the "Woodland Adventurers" boxed set. Take a look at figure P and compare.

Likewise, the orc looks like the "Captain" from the "Orc's Lair" boxed set (figure C).
I would not be at all surprised if the other figures are also based on Grenadier miniatures. If anyone can identify their sources, I'd be grateful.

1 comment:

  1. Confess I can't identify the other figs as Grenadier figs from a quick search, but the Lost Minis Wiki has images of pretty much everything they made over here:

    http://www.miniatures-workshop.com/lostminiswiki/index.php?title=Category:Grenadier

    ReplyDelete