Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Lords of Chaos

Thanks to a kind reader, I now have a few copies of the early gaming fanzine, Lords of Chaos, whose first issue appeared in Spring 1977. The 'zine was produced by N.C. Shapero, who was a contributor to Lee Gold's Alarums & Excursions and the creator of the Other Suns RPG. It takes its name from Shapero's gaming club in Belmont, California. 

When time permits, I'll write a few posts about the 'zine and its contents. I'm particularly interested in the 'zine's contributors, some of whom eventually went on to work for prominent RPG companies of the era. I suspect too that I'll gain some further insights into the California gaming scene, since I'm fascinated by regional differences in the way RPGs (and wargames) were approached in the first decade of the hobby. 

More later!

5 comments:

  1. This was around the time I started gaming in my early teens. At the local game shop (Aero Hobbies, now recently closed) the groups there had just left DnD behind And we’re moving on towards things like Traveller, Bushido, and Petal Throne. Though I’d later be grateful for an early exposure to alternatives, I had to seek out Dungeons and Dragons (Outside my own school group) elsewhere. I went to games at places like UCLA and a buddies Jewish community center In West Los Angeles. I’m going to guess that Belmont group you mention frequented The Balboa Gaming Company, also known as The Warhouse, out in Long Beach. They may be closed now as well (I moved out of Los Angeles a couple years ago so I’m a bit out of touch).

    I never heard of this zine, but I did have a running column in A&E for a year or two. Southern California had gaming all over, but as I got into my later teens having a private dedicated group was my jam from then on in. But I knew in those early days the real interesting stuff was going on in Northern Cali (Hargrave and Chaosium).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you ever written about your memories of those days anywhere? I think they'd be very fascinating to read.

      Delete
  2. LOL, I did some years ago back when things in gaming, especially the OSR, were much more negative and afraid to say so was I. Now that I'm older and have a better perspective I'm thinking of writing again, maybe about newer experiences with newer gamers juxtaposed with nostalgia. Younger gamers these days don't much seem to care for the nostalgia, but I think old school is easily injected into newer editions. But either way I'm hoping for a more chill online experiences these days. So if I write I'll be doing it for a more positive place. I mean, its games, right? Its about fun.

    I don't look at OSR stuff these days much (is it still a thing?), but I'm glad Grognardia is back and that the nostalgia has a safe space! Please keep the posts coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Glad to hear you're doing well these days. We need more of this, especially right now.

      Delete