Friday, October 9, 2020

Red Morgan

In preparation for another post, I was looking through the 1981 D&D Basic Rules and, as is inevitable, lingered a moment on Jeff Dee's memorable illustration of Morgan Ironwolf.
They say familiarity breeds contempt, but, in this case, I think it breeds inattentiveness. Like most gamers of a certain age, I've seen this piece of artwork too many times to count. To employ an over-used word, it's one of the iconic pieces of Dungeons & Dragons art, right up there with Trampier's Players Handbook cover. And yet, for all that, it wasn't until just now that I noticed something, something others before me might have noticed, but, if so, I've never seen reference to it.
That's the cover of Marvel's Conan the Barbarian #24 (March 1973), which marks the second appearance of Red Sonja (the first being discussed here). Am I imagining things in seeing a resemblance? Here's another image of her, which I think gives a better sense of her full attire.
There are quite a number of similarities, wouldn't you say? Besides the form fitting chain shirt, there are the bare legs, the cavalier boots, and the scabbard hanging from her left hip. If we could see Morgan's right leg more clearly, we might be able to see if she, like Sonja, has any leg straps. If she did, I think that would come close to clinching my theory. 

But maybe I'm just seeing things. What do you think?

13 comments:

  1. I picked up on the Red Sonja vibe as a kid, but I didn't figure out that she had a bow across her chest until revisiting these rules a few years back. I always though it was an extravagant flourish to her armor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morgan should have at least one thigh strap. You can just see the top of a large belt pouch (one of those rectangular ones with a flap on top, not a cloth/leather "dice bag" style coin purse) on her right leg, and you'd generally have a strap or tie on one of those to keep it from flapping around when you walk or run.

    You could probably ask Dee if he was inspired by Sonja, he's still pretty active of Facebook last I looked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I emailed him and he said that it was not inspired by Red Sonja, since he didn't start seriously reading comics until several years after issue #24 appeared. That said, he didn't deny that it's possible he saw a later image that might have influenced him.

      Delete
  3. Seems an odd way to wear a bow. No expert though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been looking at that art since 1982 and never realized that was a bow. I thought it was a broken strap. Thank you - one of life's mysteries solved.

      Delete
    2. I'm not sure I even noticed the bow at all until very recently.

      Delete
  4. A lot of early D&D art was inspired by comics art, so this is not surprising.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely noticed the bow as a kid because I was obsessed. with equipment. I have since come to decide that a front-line fighter need not carry a bow, but rather a brace of throwing axes for greater damage potential. This is not a rational, either real world or D&D mechanics based decision - I just like fighters that throw axes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are in good company with the Franks, to be sure...

      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francisca

      Delete
  6. Can Red Sonja's nipples pierce steel mail? I think not!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seems clearly inspired by the Barry Windsor-Smith Red Sonya but, still not such a direct rip-off as much early D&D art.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great to read that. But I've always been and always will be an Aleena guy. Sorry, Morgan.

    ReplyDelete